Last Updated on
Are you visiting Biarritz and the Basque Country soon? You will inevitably enjoy Biarritz beach “la Grande plage”. It’s Biarritz main beach.
There are many reasons to spend a relaxing time here and take a walk along the waterfront.
In this article, I’ll tell you:
- the reasons to visit this beach.
- when to visit it.
- how to organize your visit.
- which hotels to choose on the beach.
Although many festivals will not be held in 2020, you will find them on the downloadable calendar below. It is indeed a perpetual calendar. Festivals are sorted by month and only fixed-date festivals have their exact dates indicated. So you will be able to use it from one year to the next without difficulty!
FAQ on Biarritz beach.
Yes. There are inclined planes to access the beach.
There are many parking spaces and paid parking lots near the Grande Plage. As it can be difficult to find free spaces, you can choose to park in the well indicated underground car parks, or you can park further away, near the Asiatica Museum and the Floquet car park.
No, no more beaches in Biarritz !!! Out of season, you will nevertheless see some dogs with their owners on the Miramar beach or on the other side of the main beach, in the small creek near the rock.
Yes, the tram bus serves the centre, as well as the 2 free shuttles and several bus lines. See the map on the Chronoplus website.
Why to visit the beach?
There are plenty of reasons to visit the main beach of Biarritz!
- Swimming, sunbathing, relaxing.
- Water sports such as surfing.
- Stroll along the beach or even from the lighthouse to the Virgin’s Rock or the Côte des Basques beach.
- Have a drink at the Hôtel du Palais.
- Have fun avoiding the roaring waves in the tunnel between Miramar beach and the Hotel du Palais on days with heavy swells.
- Have a drink or a meal on one of the terraces, especially the one at the Café de la Grande Plage.
- Enjoy the municipal swimming pool with its view of the beach, sauna, hammam, jacuzzi.
- Go to the casino.
- Eat an ice cream.
- Enjoy the exceptional view of the lighthouse, the palace hotel, the Virgin’s rock, the Pyrenees, Spain and of course the ocean.
- Admire the sunset.
- Shopping in the surrounding area.
- Eat in one of the many restaurants in the area.
- Take the little train.
When to visit the main beach of Biarritz?
Anytime! You can of course visit the beach of Biarritz in any season but in the summer there are a lot of people. The before and after season are ideal times, for the mild weather and relative calm, as are the end of year festivities to enjoy the magnificent sound and light of Christmas, Biarritz en lumière.
Stormy days are also a great time to enjoy both the raging elements and post-storm colours.
How to organize your visit?
Grande plage is located in the centre of Biarritz. It is often confused with the Côte des Basques beach, on the opposite side of the Rocher de la Vierge, after the Villa Belza.
You can therefore come on foot from the main attractions in the centre of Biarritz.
If you come by car and have difficulty parking, go to the Asiatica Museum and the Floquet parking lot.
Tram bus T1 serves the large beach, as do the two free shuttles and numerous bus lines. Get off at the stop “Le Palais” or “Mairie de Biarritz”. Consult the map here.
Would you like to use the services of a guide during your stay in the Basque Country? Please contact me.
Which hotel on Biarritz main beach?
Of course, the Hotel du Palais, one of the few French palaces.
The Windsor Grande Plage Biarritz is also an excellent, less expensive choice.
Now you know why, when and how to visit Biarritz beach la Grande Plage.
Have you ever visited Biarritz? Do you have other visiting tips to share? Do not hesitate to share them with us as a comment.
You can read my complete guide to Biarritz here
Share this article with your family or friends who are planning their next trip to the south of France.
This article contains compensated links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Consult the disclaimer on the site for more information.